Hey friends! It's been a busy week and things are moving right along with the Revolutionaries Market Renovation! If you haven't seen the Before Pictures and Update #1, read those first! Of course, the contractor has been doing the majority of the work (like plumbing, building the storage closet and bathroom, building out the front of the building, etc), but this weekend my parents and I got in on the action! (Okay, let's be honest, my Dad really did most of the work.)
Our goals for the weekend were to remove a majority of the plaster from the brick, put wood in the area where two doors used to be (we're turning it into a built in shelf/display), and remove the security grate from the sky light. Here's what we started with:
Let's start with the grate first -- the grate was built into the frame of the sky light, so it was a bit more difficult to remove than we expected. Even still, my Dad used bolt cutters to cut it out and then used a grinder to smooth everything out. The broken panes still need to be replaced (and will be replaced soon), but it already looks better, right!?
Next, the built in area! Remember the tongue and groove wood that we salvaged from this wall:
My Dad sanded the boards down to the bare wood so we could reuse them throughout the shop. The first place we reused them is in the random door area that leads to the other shops beside us. We're going to turn this awkward space into a really cool built in shelf/display. Here's stage 1 -- the beautiful wood back!
Last but not least, the brick! The girls (Mom, my friend Crystal, and I) used chisels and hammers to remove plaster, while my Dad used a small jack hammer (or Bosch rotary hammer) to remove the majority of it. He was a champ and the hero of the weekend (and probably forever and ever)! It was so satisfying to see the plaster come off and see that beautiful brick come through!
Some of the plaster just wouldn't budge, so we decided to leave some for an artistic look. We'll paint it in the next few weeks so it's all one color, too.
Mom also used a wire brush mounted in a drill to take off some paint on one area of the brick. I actually like the patina color, but we just wanted the brick to shine through a bit more. I love how it looks now!
You'll see in the pictures that the storage closet and bathroom have been built by the contractor. The wood on the outside will eventually be painted/white washed as well.
I am SO happy with all of the progress we made! I will do an update on the outside of the building in a few weeks -- there are still some changes we're making, so I want to wait until it's done.